Monday, December 01, 2014

Blog: 31 Posts of December? There's Proportionality in There Somewhere

I didn't write a novel in November, like many set out to do each year, and I didn't successfully tackle my goal of 100,000 words in the past year or so (before hitting a landmark birthday), but I did think that I could challenge myself to author another 31 blog posts this month.

And that almost fell apart on Day 1. It's late in the evening, and I'm exhausted. So I've punted and given you an introduction post announcing my intent without actually getting started. I've fulfilled the obligation with more noise and less content.

Noise and content, as we know, are inversely proportional in blog posts, as well as message boards and other forums. The more of one, the less of the other. Bob McAllister, host of the old -- old -- kid show Wonderama, used to sing "The more you Fingel, the less you Heimer, The less you Heimer, the more you Fingel" when he introduced his character, Professor Fingelheimer. That was probably my first real exposure to the concept of inverse proportion even though it didn't mean a fingel-thing!

With noise and content, you really can't have one without the other. Well, you can, theoretically, but 100% content is boring and bland while 100% noise would be ... should I name names? You know which blogs those are: lists of 20 random things required 72 clicks to get through.

So this is mostly noise and nostalgia, and tomorrow will be some wonderfully thought out piece about inequalities that might even merit a second draft.

Unless a comic comes to me in the next hour or so that just can't wait. Or my work schedule demands a little bit more of me.

Which would leave you with a little bit less of me.

No comments: