Friday, May 07, 2010

Policy on Re-using Images

I don't mind seeing my comics reposted around the Internet on people's pages and blogs. In fact, I love it when someone likes something that much that they want a copy. However, I'd like to make a few rules which I'm asking everyone to follow when it comes to linking and copying images.

If you want to link to a picture on my site, please link to the page, not just the image. That way, if someone wishes to comment or contact me, they can.

If you want to repost the picture on your site, as long as its a free website, go ahead, but, please, link back to the page, and let me know that you are using it. I don't mind seeing my comics reposted, I just like to know about it. I might even link back to your site from here. (Note: "might", that's another issue).

If you want to use one of my images for a non-commercial purpose, contact me. You'll probably get a "yes". (Note: "probably")

If you want to use one of my images for a commercial purprose, ask me. I'll read it. I'll probably get back to you. No guarantees.

That's about it. If you aren't sure, just ask. I like the feedback and the comments. Thanks.

6 comments:

Ryan L said...

What happened to make you write this post?

(x, why?) said...

Nothing in particular.

I don't mind people using the images, I'd just like to know about it. I've had a couple people write to ask. (Including a group that wanted to make a T-shirt for a math club fundraiser.)

I do know that my mother's day comic from a couple of years ago has been reposted a bunch of times, usually linking to the picture itself, but not the site.

Just trying to bring the traffic in, and maybe get a few more comments on the blog.

Anonymous said...

I've probably broken the rules once or twice. I apologize.

(I've probably posted something of yours on my free website, and linked back, but forgotten to tell you)

I'll try to remember.

Also, your little "random comic" button is cycling me through just a small number of comics - 66, 24 and a few others.

Jonathan

(x, why?) said...

I'm pretty sure you linked back to me because I think that's how I found your blog in the first place. Or that might've been when I had a better hit tracker. (I'm hating Google Analytics.)

I'll take a look at the random button. I haven't played around with the javascript in a while.

"random" on the top of the page should do everything. If you click on a character, you get one of the strips which that character appeared in, but that feature is really out of date.

(x, why?) said...

I uploaded changes to one of the templates. If that seems to work, I'll copy it to the other one.

Can't wait for late June to get here to give me more time.

I want to replace the banner on the comic genesis page. I just don't know with what yet.

(x, why?) said...

Yeah, I royally screwed up with my edits. And I spent too much time trying to debug it. I'll try to get to it soon.

In the meantime, I put an older version back in place.